As you know there have been modifications and changes to the record keeping system in 4-H that took effect early in the 4-H year (September 2011). The most obvious of these changes was the development an online record keeping system. This system is optional for 4-Hers to record their project experiences. The other option is for members to use IDENTICAL fillable PDF or Word forms that were distributed statewide and available online for download. Members have the option to use the online system or the Word/PDF documents to complete their recordbooks.
Below is a review of the changes that have taken effect for the 2011-2012 Texas 4-H Recordkeeping System:
- Age appropriate forms that are progressive in nature
- Simplified reports for juniors and intermediates
- Senior forms similar to previous version
- All members will use the 2011-2012 forms
- Forms may be completed through the online entry system (www.4hreports.com) or may be downloaded from the Texas 4-H Website (http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/youth_recordbooks)
- Recordbooks will be printed and turned in (hardcopy) to be judged
- Reference to recordbook objectives in report no longer required
- Photo captions no longer required
- Resume for seniors no longer required
- College/Career Exploration page added for seniors
- New scoresheet to provide better feedback – will be reviewed in upcoming presentations
For a complete list of rules and guidelines please see the attached (new) family guide. This guide will be posted on the state 4-H record keeping web page in addition to the 4hreports site. This guide replaces the Record Improvement Guide. The new score sheets are included in the appendices of this guide, but will also be available as separate file downloads.
To ensure all questions are answered, two online Lync presentations will be conducted for Extension personnel on the following dates: May 1st – 10:00 am – 12:00 pm and May 3rd – 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. A Lync invitation will be sent out statewide to participate in these presentations. Other training material is also available online at www.4hreports.com and http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/youth_recordbooks. This includes: training videos, fillable forms, checksheets, powerpoints, recordbook guides (4-H Reports Guide and Family guide), scoresheets, judges orientation, screenshots, and list of recordbook categories.
Two centras have been setup for youth and adults on April 16th – 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm and April 30th – 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm. These centras will help answer any questions on assembling recordbooks and will review the new judging criteria.
Extension Program Specialist
4-H & Youth Development, District IV